storescu alters space-filled fields during transmission

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

wblume

storescu alters space-filled fields during transmission

#1 Post by wblume »

I've been using storescu to send images as a test of some of our software.
Some of my data has the patient id and name replaced with space characters (anonymized). I've noticed that storescu replaces these fields with zero-length data, i.e. the field is still there, but there is no data in it.

Is there any way to bypass this behavior?
W. Blume
Stereotaxis, Inc

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#2 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

According to part 5 of the DICOM standard, trailing spaces are not significant for the value representation PN (Person Name), i.e. a value of one or more spaces is identical to an empty value. For the value representation LO (Long String), both leading and trailing spaces are non-significant.
Is there any way to bypass this behavior?
Setting the global flag dcmEnableAutomaticInputDataCorrection to OFFalse might do what you want ...

wblume

#3 Post by wblume »

Unfortunately, although the receiving program is non-compliant (it treats a zero-length field as meaning it is not present at all), I cannot modify this program, I have to live with it as is.

Your suggestion of setting the global flag sounds like a good one. I assume this is not a command line option, and I have to modify and build from source? Is that correct?

Thanks
W. Blume
Stereotaxis, Inc

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#4 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

I assume this is not a command line option, and I have to modify and build from source? Is that correct?
This is correct. The command line option --disable-correction (-dc) is only available for a couple of DCMTK tools like dcmdump, dcmconv and dcmodify.

wblume

#5 Post by wblume »

I added a -dc command line option to my copy of the storescu utility. Your suggestion solved the problem. Thanks for your advice!
W. Blume
Stereotaxis, Inc