dcmdump, dump2dcm to handle all binary data by external file

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

Potti

dcmdump, dump2dcm to handle all binary data by external file

#1 Post by Potti »

I use dcmdump.exe (called with params -q +E -M +L +W) to create a dicom text file that can be modified in a text editor and then use dump2dcm.exe to make a dicom file again. But this does not work for tags (OW, OB, OF) that are not written to a file by the "+W" parameter and are too big to be loaded.
So my question / request is if all not loaded binary data could be written to disk - not only pixel data?

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: dcmdump, dump2dcm to handle all binary data by external

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

The option --write-pixel only refers to the Pixel Data element as the name suggests and the documentation says.
Also the dump2dcm tool only supports the "=<filename>" syntax for OB/OW elements and pixel items (internal type).

The tool xml2dcm should also support other VRs when reading binary data from an external file...

Potti

#3 Post by Potti »

So can I then make a feature request to implement handing of all binary data by using an external file (dcmdump and dump2dicom)?

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#4 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Thank you for the proposal. I just added this "feature request" to our (longish) internal to-do list.
However, please be warned that it usually takes quiet a long time for a feature like this to be implemented
(not because of its complexity but because of its low priority and our limited time).

Also see this blog posting: http://blog.jriesmeier.com/2013/03/how- ... the-dcmtk/

Potti

#5 Post by Potti »

Thank you.