how to store unlimited text in DICOM-Tag's

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

Rynardald

how to store unlimited text in DICOM-Tag's

#1 Post by Rynardald »

Hi,
I want to encapsulate Pdf-Files in dicom-Files and put the Text from the PDF-File in a DICOM-Tag.
4 Questions:
- Can I use the LabelText-Tag (2200,0002) to store the Text? or is the Textvalue-Tag (0040,A160) better?
- Can I make a Sequence those Tags to store the Text page by page?
- How can I do it with DcmModify.exe?
- And do I have to take care about sideeffects?

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: how to store unlimited text in DICOM-Tag's

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

There is a DICOM IOD and SOP Class particularly for this purpose: Encapsulated PDF Storage.
Also, there is a ready-to-use command line tool that creates such DICOM file from a PDF: pdf2dcm.

Rynardald

#3 Post by Rynardald »

I use this SOP-Class and this command-line tool. But I need this tag to be able to analyse the pdf-content without extracting everytime the textelements.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#4 Post by J. Riesmeier »

You have two options: you could either add an attribute that is listed in part 6 of the DICOM standard but not contained in the Encapsulated PDF Storage IOD (according to part 3), or you could add a private attribute with your private information. The first approach is called Standard Extended SOP Class. In any case, you have to document this "extension" in the DICOM Conformance Statement of your system. And, of course, there is no guarantee that your extension survives the "round trip" through the DICOM network.