Adding SC images to existing DICOMDIR

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

oxymoron

Adding SC images to existing DICOMDIR

#1 Post by oxymoron »

I´ve processed some SC images with SOPClassUID UID_SecondaryCaptureImageStorage and want to add them to a new series in an existing XA study.
The TS used is EXS_JPEGProcess14SV1TransferSyntax and when I try to add the image files to the DICOMDIR in order to burn a DVD, the CheckSOPClassAndXfer(...) function rejects it , though in table E.3.1 from PS 3.11 (2015c) I understand it says is a valid TS for that IOD.
Is it not possible to add compressed (Lossless JPEG) SC images to a study with XRayAngiographicImageStore files?

Thanks.

oxymoron

Re: Adding SC images to existing DICOMDIR

#2 Post by oxymoron »

My mistake... the table I should have looked at was B-3.1...

oxymoron

#3 Post by oxymoron »

As a final note to the post... I was (and still am) confused by a restriction in the standard that makes no sense to me. Why is not allowed for the AP STD-XA1K to add the Multiframe Grayscale WORD/BYTE Secondary Capture Image IODs? as I see they are exactly the IOD I would use to add a SC multiframe image to a DVD?

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#4 Post by Michael Onken »

The Application Profile STD-XA1K is much older than the "new" Secondary Capture SOP Classes and thus they probably did not want to break backwards compatibility.

Best,
Michael

oxymoron

#5 Post by oxymoron »

I guess so.. keeping back compatibility is a big issue, but the current state of the standard does not allow to include a SC image with a bit depth beyond 8, or a compressed one, losing either grayscale resolution and/or storage.

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#6 Post by Michael Onken »

Maybe there are other profiles that would work for you, actually I don't know by heart...

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#7 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Actually, it is possible, but not with the STD-XA1K profile alone. That means, you would have to add these "incompatible" directory records based on another Media Storage Application Profile. According to the DICOM standard, not a storage medium is conformant to a certain profile but a system/implementation is (i.e. a FSC, FSU or FSR).

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#8 Post by Michael Onken »

However, it is not likely to mix application profiles though some (one? I dont mean Jörg;) ) DICOM guru explained that it is possible. I would not do it if you dont want to confuse your customers or media exchange partners, even if you are technically right in terms of the standard.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#9 Post by J. Riesmeier »

It wasn't "someone" but the chairman of DICOM WG-05 (Exchange Media) and editor of the DICOM standard David Clunie, e.g. here: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/comp.pr ... NjjCWBS54J

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#10 Post by Michael Onken »

That's why I said guru. So you recommend this to anyone? I don't.

Best,
Michael