ImagesInSeries tag

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

Russell

ImagesInSeries tag

#1 Post by Russell »

I am implementing a DICOM move command using DcmSCU with code similar to http://support.dcmtk.org/redmine/projec ... wto_DcmSCU together with DcmSCP listen function. I need a progress bar so that when the number of images become large, the user can tell what percentage have already been transferred. To do this, I must know in advance what is the total number of files. How do I do this? I thought about issuing a query with a tag called (0025,1007) ImagesInSeries but this tag seems to be retired. Has this been replaced by something else? Or, is there another way?

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

Re: ImagesInSeries tag

#2 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi,

there is no reliable tag that would tell you how many images are in a series.

You could try to find out beforehand by querying the PACS server using appropriate query keys. Every Q/R server will allow you to look on IMAGE level for all images and you get their number by counting the C-FIND-RSP results. Since this is tedious, there is an easier way: You can ask for Number of Series Related Instances​ on SERIES level in a query, however, that is unfortunately not required to be supported by every server.

Another way to monitor progress is after starting the transfer. After you send the C-MOVE-REQ, the PACS will optionally send you a C-MOVE-RSP after every image it transfers via C-STORE. That C-MOVE-RSP contains: the number of all completed C-STOREs, number of all failed, number of those with warnings and finally the number of remaining C-STORE operations. Unfortunately that will not work if the PACS does not support these optional C-MOVE-RSP messages and only sends the required one after all images have been stored.

Best,
Michael

Russell

#3 Post by Russell »

Thank you Michael. I like your first solution. Until now, I did not know that FIND works down to QueryRetrieveLevel=IMAGE.
When I tried this, the server replied with a list of images:

Code: Select all

findscu -S -aet MY_PC -aec REMOTE_PC REMOTE 12345 -k QueryRetrieveLevel=IMAGE
		-k PatientName=Patient1 
		-k StudyInstanceUID=2.16.840.1.113669.632.20.1211.10000357775
		-k SeriesInstanceUID=1.3.46.670589.11.0.0.11.4.2.0.8743.5.5396.2006120114333440565
		-k SOPInstanceUID

Code: Select all

I: Find Response: 1 (Pending)
I: Find Response: 22 (Pending)

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#4 Post by Michael Onken »

Good to hear that it works.

Note that if the server supports Number of Series Related Instances​ on SERIES level, you only have to receive a single C-FIND response, which has much less overhead. Good thing about the IMAGE level approach is that every Q/R server must support it.

Best,
Michael