-libiconv compilation error with DCMTK3.6.1 Xcode iOS

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

narendra.v02

-libiconv compilation error with DCMTK3.6.1 Xcode iOS

#1 Post by narendra.v02 »

Hello,

Im trying to build latest snapshot (3.6.1) of DCMTK static libraries for my XCODE iOS project, here i'm having trouble with -libiconv compilation, refer the following error

Showing All Messages
"_libiconvctl", referenced from:
OFCharacterEncoding::convertString(void*, char const*, unsigned long, OFString&, bool) in libofstd.a(ofchrenc.o)

"_libiconv", referenced from:
OFCharacterEncoding::convertString(void*, char const*, unsigned long, OFString&, bool) in libofstd.a(ofchrenc.o)

"_libiconv_open", referenced from:
OFCharacterEncoding::openDescriptor(void*&, OFString const&, OFString const&) in libofstd.a(ofchrenc.o)

"_libiconv_close", referenced from:
OFCharacterEncoding::closeDescriptor(void*&) in libofstd.a(ofchrenc.o)
Symbol(s) not found for architecture arm64

Note: With DCMTK 3.6.0 release I'm able to build and compile, No any issue with DCMTK 3.6.0.
Can someone help us on this.
Thank you so much!

Narendra.

Jan Schlamelcher
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

Re: -libiconv compilation error with DCMTK3.6.1 Xcode iOS

#2 Post by Jan Schlamelcher »

Hi Narendra,

this is most likely due to the changed implementation of OFCharacterEncoding. Most likely an incompatible iconv header file is used in conjuction with the wrong library. Can you provide more information about how you configured DCMTK? Also, as an alternative, DCMTK now supports the ICU library, you might simply use it instead of iconv.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#3 Post by J. Riesmeier »

@Jan The latest DCMTK snapshot (20161102) does not contain the "new" implementation of OFCharacterEncoding. The change happened later.

@narendra.v02 DCMTK 3.6.0 does not contain support for character set encoding at all. This explains why there are no problems with it.

narendra.v02

#4 Post by narendra.v02 »

@jan @ Riesmeier Thanks for your response.

@riesmeir is there any other way to fix those compile issue with DCMTK snapshot (20161102) or do we need to wait for next snapshot. I tried with ICU Library but i couldn't make it run.

Thanks,
Narendra.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#5 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Unfortunately, I personally have no experience with iOS and also have no Mac at hand. As far as I know, the DCMTK Dasboard (nightly compilation on various platforms) also includes a Mac OS X system using Clang -- at this also works with libiconv. Maybe, the other DCMTK team members can give you some (more) hints.

Addendum: You can download the latest development source from the public git repository: http://git.dcmtk.org/?p=dcmtk.git;a=summary (There is also "snapshot" link in each line, i.e. for downloading the full source code package with the corresponding commit included).