Multi-file vs. Single file DICOM

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

evanyftsai

Multi-file vs. Single file DICOM

#1 Post by evanyftsai »

Hi,

Is there any particular setting/configuration necessary to handle single file DICOM data?

Thanks,
Evan

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: Multi-file vs. Single file DICOM

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

I'm sorry but you need to give us more background information... and, by the way, where is the DCMTK aspect of your question?

evanyftsai

#3 Post by evanyftsai »

Sorry - let me try to provide more info: some DICOM data that we receive contains only one *.dcm file, rather than hundreds of files. I believe this format is called `workbook' or something like that. I am wondering does DCMTK provide a way to read such data?

Thanks,
Evan

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#4 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Are you talking about DICOM network services or storage media exchange? I have never heard of "workbook". This has nothing to do with the DICOM standard.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#5 Post by J. Riesmeier »

The DICOM file you've sent to us conforms to the SOP Class "Enhanced CT Image" and contains 534 frames (slices).

In your accompanying email you've asked: "Does DCMTK support this kind of data?" The answer depends on what you mean by "support". The DCMTK is able to send and receive such objects, to read and create them...

evanyftsai

#6 Post by evanyftsai »

Thank you for your explanations!

I am making progress understanding how to handle Enhanced Multi-frame. I have a related question here: what is the most reliable way to query the number of slices in a series? I tried the following but it didn't work:

// Obtain series record:
DcmDirectoryRecord seriesRecord;
bool bSuccess = getSeriesRecord(patientIndex, studyIndex, seriesIndex, seriesRecord);
if ( !bSuccess || seriesRecord.getRecordType() != ERT_Series )
return 0;

OFString imageCountStr;
OFCondition status = seriesRecord.findAndGetOFString(DCM_NumberOfSeriesRelatedInstances, imageCountStr);
if ( !status.good() )
return 0;

int imageCount = atoi(imageCountStr.c_str());

Querying the tag fails.

Thanks!
Evan

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#7 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Where did you read that "Number of Series Related Instances" is part of a DICOMDIR? It is not. It is used as part of the Query/Retrieve Service.

Before trying to implement something, you should have a clear concept and also a good understanding of the DICOM standard...