question on DCMTK version

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

mjnoonan

question on DCMTK version

#1 Post by mjnoonan »

Hi, I'm new here so forgive me if this question has been answered before. I did look at the FAQs and searched but did not find anything about this question. My question is about the versioning of DCMTK. I am evaluating the toolkit for use in a commercial product where we need to replace our previous toolkit due to ridiculous cost increases. I notice the latest official release is from 2011 with snapshots after that, including very recent ones. My concern is the statement: "Please note, however, that this is not an official release version." That statement may give my management a panic attack since we are looking at this for production software at thousands of clients. Can someone explain the release strategy? Will there be in new release in the near future?

Thanks,

Mark

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

Re: question on DCMTK version

#2 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi,

there will be a release (really!) in the near future.

However, note that most of the DCMTK developers also use snapshot versions of the toolkit for commercial projects. The main difference is the amount of platforms that we test the toolkit on, and that all build configurations work on our major platforms Windows (VS), Linux, and Mac.

Best regards,
Michael

mjnoonan

#3 Post by mjnoonan »

Thanks for the quick response. It does appear that we would have to use the latest snapshot to get everything we need, but if that is being done commonly (and we do plentiful testing before we release it) I think we should be OK. Just need to sell that to management.

zack

#4 Post by zack »

@Michael Onken
When comes the new release? June is already over.

Jan Schlamelcher
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#5 Post by Jan Schlamelcher »

zack wrote:When comes the new release? June is already over.
Soon. We are currently performing last minute fixes and checks.