question on supported SOP classes

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

mjnoonan

question on supported SOP classes

#1 Post by mjnoonan »

I'm new to this - just evaluating DCMTK now for replacement of another toolkit in our commercial product. What I'm looking for is a quick overview of all the SOP classes that are supported and I cannot find that anywhere. Does such a document exist?

In short, the ones I need are:

SCU: MPPS, various storage ones (I have no further detail on the storage ones right now)

SCP: General Purpose Worklist, Modality Worklist, General Purpose Scheduled Procedure Step, General Purpose Performed Procedure Step, Modality Performed Procedure Step, Detached Study Management, Study Component Management, Detached Patient Management, Detached Interpretation management, Detached Results Management, various storage ones (I have no further detail on the storage ones right now)

As a quick overview in case this matters, when acting as an SCP we need to listen for DCM associations and parse incoming messages into some other format (probably XML) and will then create a DICOM response to go back based on processing of that XML message by some other system. In short, I just need to be able to handle the association processing and be able to parse and create DICOM messages attribute by attribute for the above SOP classes. The SCU processing would be similar but, of course, I need to be able to create the association instead of listening for one.

Any help anyone can provide just to assure me what I'm looking to do can be done with DCMTK would be most welcome.

Thanks,

Mark

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: question on supported SOP classes

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Since DCMTK is a general-purpose DICOM toolkit, all all the requested DICOM services can be implemented. To be more specific...
SCU: MPPS, various storage ones (I have no further detail on the storage ones right now)
If you need ready-to-use tools or classes:
  • For Storage, there are the storescu and dcmsend tools as well as the DcmStorageSCU class.
  • For MPPS, there is a commercial extension that is available from OFFIS (see their web site).
SCP: General Purpose Worklist, Modality Worklist, General Purpose Scheduled Procedure Step, General Purpose Performed Procedure Step, Modality Performed Procedure Step, Detached Study Management, Study Component Management, Detached Patient Management, Detached Interpretation management, Detached Results Management, various storage ones (I have no further detail on the storage ones right now)
Most of these DICOM services have been retired over the years, so I would not recommend to use them any more. But of course, you can also implement them using the DCMTK (if there is no good reason to do so).
For all other services, there are ready-to-use tools and/or classes:
  • For Storage, there are the storescp, dcmqrscp and dcmrecv tools as well as the underlying classes (e.g. DcmStorageSCP).
  • For Modality Worklist Management, there is the wlmscpfs tool and underlying classes as part of the DCMTK.
  • For MPPS, there is a commercial extension that is available from OFFIS (see their web site).
Hope this helps.

mjnoonan

#3 Post by mjnoonan »

Thanks for the reply. So MPPS really cannot be implemented with the off-the-shelf toolkit? Or are you saying that the "general purpose" nature of the toolkit allows me to do it myself if so desired?

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#4 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Of course, you can also implement MPPS with the freely available DCMTK since it is a general purpose toolkit :-)

mjnoonan

#5 Post by mjnoonan »

Perfect! Thank you for the help.