DICOM Print ! but with postscript!!!

#1 Post by guy »

Hello all, before posting this mail, I have read all the topics
related to mine but without finding really what I want and they were
old.

I have made a Print SCU for my visualisation console in DICOM, but
unfortunatelly, when testing whith the printer, we have constated that
DICOM Print SCP was an option in this printer and the only way to
print DICOM files is to print them as PostScript.

The problem is that I have read all Dicom Part concerning DICOM Print,
and I'm sure there is something talking about PostScript to respect
the "norme".
Tell me if I'm wrong, but the work isn't just to convert DICOM images
to PostScript files and print them as simply files ?

What about the secondary captures ? the print management service ? the
DCMTK in this case ?

Please, give me advices or references because I'm completly lost, I
was going to be friend with DCMTK and DICOM Print Management Meta SOP
!

Sylvain

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

If your printer only supports PostScript, and does not include a DICOM Print SCP, then you will not be able to print on it with a DICOM Print SCU. It's that simple (although this certainly does not help you).
There are two options for you:
  • Forget the Print SCU code and write code that converts your images into a PostScript print job.
  • Either buy or create yourself a tool that acts as a DICOM Print SCP and converts the print jobs that are received in DICOM format into PostScript directly.
Please note that the DCMPRINT toolkit offered by our group is exactly this - a tool that acts as a Print SCP and creates print jobs for a conventional PostScript printer. However, this tool is not freely available.

guy

#3 Post by guy »

Ok, if i have well read the NEMA's pages, PostScript isn't more referenced by DICOM Conformance Statement.

So, for printing my modified image (or bitmap) providing from a dicom file, do I must convert this bitmap to PostScript format and if yes, does a free open source convertor exist ?

Because PostScript seems to be a kind of language and not easy to understand, and however I just want to convert a bitmap to PostScript! so easy normally!

If an open source doesn't exit, it implies that after getting the pixels of my modified image, i shall create a PostScript file in C++ giving it the pixels and some other attributes... ??

Completly lost

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#4 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

I am not aware of any open source tool that would convert DICOM images to PostScript. There should certainly be tools that convert general purpose formats to PostScript (use Google), but there is no specific tool I could recommend.
PostScript is indeed a programming language. The only way to implement code like this yourself is to learn this language - i.e. read a good book, there are plenty.