VS 2008 Setup, more recent stable version of dcmtk?

Compilation and installation of DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

Daniel

VS 2008 Setup, more recent stable version of dcmtk?

#1 Post by Daniel »

Hello,
I downloaded dcmtk-3.5.4.zip and followed the directions and find that the CMake does not work correctly for VS2008 - all compiler flags settings get ignored.

After reading the posts that VS 2005 build files work with vs 2008 I edited the CMakeLists.txt lines that refer to VS 2005 to refer to VS 2008.

But still, the compiler flags were not set correctly in the project. In the end, I had to select each subproject using the gui and set /MDd and /MD by hand.

So here are two questions,

1) Is it true that Cmake does not generate good project files for 2008 *if you start from scratch*? (i.e. I think a lot of people probably had 2005 files that they generated with Cmake when they had 2005 installed). Or have I screwed something else up in the install.

2) The 3.5.4 release is quite old (2005), is there a more recent stable release in the repository that people are using with more modern VS versions (and that maybe works with Cmake correctly)? We are using dcmimage the most.

Thanks,
Dan
Dan

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

Re: VS 2008 Setup, more recent stable version of dcmtk?

#2 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi Dan,
Daniel wrote:Hello,
1) Is it true that Cmake does not generate good project files for 2008 *if you start from scratch*? (i.e. I think a lot of people probably had 2005 files that they generated with Cmake when they had 2005 installed). Or have I screwed something else up in the install.
Yes it's true. For the 3.5.4 release. However, of course we are still working on DCMTK and have a changelog of more than 10.000 lines till then. So I really recommend you to use the snapshot versions instead of the 3.5.4 release. The snapshots are functionally nearly as stable as the release versions. The main difference is that we test the releases on as many platforms we can get but the snapshots are only tested under windows XP and Debian linux (stable).
2) The 3.5.4 release is quite old (2005), is there a more recent stable release in the repository that people are using with more modern VS versions (and that maybe works with Cmake correctly)?
Yes you are right. Since many years we are telling people that we will make a new release on christmas but the last years we better not note the year ;) But as stated above, you can use the snapshot versions available on the DCMTK page in order to have access to may bug fixes and new features.

I personally use Visual Studio 2010 Express on Windows and the last snapshot works flawless with it.
We are using dcmimage the most.
For dcmimage and image-related stuff there are also some nice features, i.e. reading raw and jpeg-compressed images frame by frame (important for large multi-frames requiring much memory when loaded fully into memory). Also, there is now JPEG-LS compression in DCMTK since a few months. Overall, go and give the current snapshot a try!

Best regards,
Michael