dmctk-3.6.0 Build Fails to compile on OSX 10.10.4

Compilation and installation of DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

jjgarner

dmctk-3.6.0 Build Fails to compile on OSX 10.10.4

#1 Post by jjgarner »

I am trying to instal dcmtk on my office Mac (Yosemite 10.10.4) according to these instructions: http://support.dcmtk.org/redmine/projec ... CompileOSX

These instructions look straightforward but unfortunately these compiling steps give me errors when I try to use either compiler method.
Using GNU Make:
I get errors on the "make all" step - Using Terminal, after ./configure runs just fine (to my knowledge), I then entered "make all" (on a second attempt, just "make" gives same errors) and I get a message saying:
"5 errors generated.
make[2]: *** [ofstring.o] Error 1
make[1]: *** [libsrc-all] Error 2
make: *** [ofstd-all] Error 2"

If I scroll up I can see the errors and they say: "/usr/include/sys/ucred.h:91:2: error: unknown type name 'u_long'; did you mean
'ulong'?
" and similar for the other 4 errors.
From here I cannot continue to Step 3: make install. It gives me the same 5 errors.

Using CMake:
After clicking "configure" (using Xcode) and then "generate" And then trying to build using Xcode file generated, the build fails and gives me many errors, mostly saying Semantic Issue. I think the problems start at the configure step for me here.

Does anyone have any advice on how I can compile correctly? Has anyone run into the same error messages as I have and figured out how to solve them? Are there more instructions I can read I don't know of?

Thanks to everyone willing to help me out with this. I really appreciate it!

Jan Schlamelcher
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

Re: dmctk-3.6.0 Build Fails to compile on OSX 10.10.4

#2 Post by Jan Schlamelcher »

You may also try the combination CMake + Unix Makefiles described at the bottom of the mentioned Howto. This is what happens every night in our nightly build system, so we know it is working.
This however refers to the most recent git version and not 3.6.0, so maybe try using the snapshot instead of that rather old version that is known to produce problems on newer compilers (that conform more strictly to the standard, i.e. clang).

jjgarner

#3 Post by jjgarner »

Thank you for the quick response Jan.

I just downloaded the latest snapshot dcmtk-3.6.1_20150629.tar.gz and tried the CMake + Unix Makefiles strategy - and it worked perfectly!

Thank you for your help. Cheers from California

Jan Schlamelcher
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#4 Post by Jan Schlamelcher »

You're welcome!