Including dcmtk binaries with an app on OS X

Compilation and installation of DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

MadDoc

Including dcmtk binaries with an app on OS X

#1 Post by MadDoc »

Hi,

Firstly, thanks to everyone who is/has worked on this toolkit - it really is fantastic.

I'm trying to write a wrapper around dcmtk for my language of choice (Xojo, similar in syntax to VB) and have a question about the compiled binaries.

At the moment, I have dcmtk installed on my Mac using Homebrew so I can simply call functions from my wrapper via Shell/Terminal calls. The (free) app I'm writing will obviously depend upon these libraries being installed on the user's computer but I don't want to make them have to go through the (less than straight forwards) installation of dcmtk, I'd rather include all required dcmtk binaries inside my app's bundle and call them from there.

My question is, do I just need to download these compiled statically-linked binaries and include them in my app? The link on the homepage says "External, dynamically linked libraries enabled: ZLIB and PNG)". Does this mean I need to get the user to install these libraries separately? If so, is it possible to include these two additonal libraries in my app too? Would I need to recompile things?

Sorry if this is a basic question but I can't find a clear answer on the forums.

Thanks,

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

Re: Including dcmtk binaries with an app on OS X

#2 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi,

yes the static binaries in the download file you quoted should work.

The dynamic libraries mentioned must be on the target system, correct. However, as far as I remember, they are shipped with Mac OS X and thus should be available on any Mac.

Best,
Michael

MadDoc

Re: Including dcmtk binaries with an app on OS X

#3 Post by MadDoc »

Brilliant. Thank you Michael.