Precompiled support libraries for DCMTK 3.6.1 and libiconv

Compilation and installation of DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: Precompiled support libraries for DCMTK 3.6.1 and libico

#16 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Our DCMTK DLL is the first and only project that we have to develop beneath Visual C++ after OFFIS has stopped Borland C++ Builder support. We have many problems with Visual C++.
I don't think that we, the DCMTK team, ever officially supported Borland C++ Builder (because we had so many problems with it, compared to Microsoft Visual Studio). I know that there were (still are?) DCMTK users (especially some companies) who tried that on their own... And, I can also remember that we did some minor modifications for them over time. However, since no one in our team actually uses this compiler, "support" for it depends on the users (that means you).

Holger Franke

#17 Post by Holger Franke »

Excuse me if I've said something wrong. :)
But I remember, 2007 was "Borland C++ Builder" a target platform in the CMake project, and DCMTK could be used (with restrictions).

Now we have a wrapper DLL based on VC++, which exports functions that we need in our program. We are happy with this solution. :D
Admin wrote:Thanks for the request - this is on our to-do list, and we will make support libraries for 3.6.1 available as time permits.
Our problem would be solved with this: Do you have a schedule when the libraries are available?

I want to ask once more, SORRY:
Michael: Do you have a version of libcharset.lib and libcharset.dll that fits to the iconv files you sent us on Tuesday?
Unfortunately the DLL alone raises some linker "unresolved external" errors. Or am I completely wrong?

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#18 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi,

hm, since my DCMTK build used the libiconv version that I have sent you, I am surprised that your's requires libcharset.

Maybe the missing symbol is already part of libiconv (even if it has charset in its name). I would check:
  • ... whether libiconv is really linked to your project at all
  • ... the link order i.e. you have to include libiconv before or after the object/library that uses it (compiler dependent I think), e.g. try adding at in the beginning of the linked library list or in the end.
Best,
Michael

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#19 Post by Michael Onken »

Have you been successful, Holger?

DraconPern

#20 Post by DraconPern »

Funny enough it was easy to solve under Windows and OS X.

But under Linux... here's what I ran into.
On Centos7.
- http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/ ... 4.rpm.html on centos w/ no success. dcmtk can't find it, I am not sure what I should pass in for WITH_ICONVINC since the path are /usr/libiconv/include and /usr/libiconv/lib64
- tried using libiconv.tar.gz but there's an outstanding bug w/ gets. Same problem on Ubuntu16.04. There's a patch, but the patch is based off of git.
- tried using git version of libiconv which I think may have the gets bug fixed. Can't get autogen to use aclocal-1.13

Holger Franke

#21 Post by Holger Franke »

Hello Michael!
Nice to have you inquire, but the problem is solved for us. Actually we have to use VC++ 2008, maybe the problems disappear if we could use a newer version.

1. We able to compile using the guidelines form PARK Youngho: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/302 ... ual-Studio
2. We've done some changes because the LIBICONV_SECOND_ARGUMENT_CONST does not work for us.
3. The last linker error was the missed _function _libiconv_version, we've found a workaround.

So it works for our purposes. We've build it as a DLL, because libiconv is under LGPL licence.
Fortunately, we do not need libxml2-2.7.7 because this library uses a different version of iconv.lib.

Thanks for your help!
Best Regards,
Holger