dll installation in Windows 7 64bit

Compilation and installation of DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

bdelman

dll installation in Windows 7 64bit

#1 Post by bdelman »

I am reviving an old application that had run with a prior version of the Toolkit exe's.
To install the latest version of 64 bit toolkit, I believe I have to register dcmnet.dll and dcmdata.dll in the SysWOW64 directory.

When I try this (regsvr32 dcmnet.dll) from the SysWOW64 directory, I get the following error:

The module "C:\Windows\SysWOW64\dcmnet.dll" failed to load.
Make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with the binary or dependent .DLL files.
The specified module could not be found.

I don't understand why I am seeing this, since the .dll's certainly are in the SysWOW64 directory.

Thanks in advance!
bdelman
Mt. Sinai School of Medicine

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

Re: dll installation in Windows 7 64bit

#2 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi,

sorry I don't know your specific project, including the SysWOW64 directory.

In general, the DLLs have to be in a DLL search path. In general, as far as I know, the path where the executable (e.g. DCMTK's findscu) lives in, is also searched when the executable is run. Try copying the DLLs into the same directory as the DCMTK .exe files. Make sure you use the new .exe files with the new DLLs.

Best,
Michael

Jan Schlamelcher
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#3 Post by Jan Schlamelcher »

Are you aware that you need to put 64 bit dlls to the System32 directory and only 32 bit dlls to SysWOW64? I know, this seems pretty retarded, but it's Windows so thats normal I guess.

bdelman

#4 Post by bdelman »

[SOLVED!]

Thanks both.

Actually, Michael's solution worked. as long as the dll is in the calling exe directory it will use it.

Jan, I wasn't aware of that. Will putting the 64bit dll in the 32bit System directory offer any speed advantage over the solution above>
bdelman
Mt. Sinai School of Medicine

Jan Schlamelcher
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#5 Post by Jan Schlamelcher »

bdelman wrote:Jan, I wasn't aware of that. Will putting the 64bit dll in the 32bit System directory offer any speed advantage over the solution above>
Not that I know. As I understand it the benefit of this solution would be that the DLL could be shared by serveral applications installed at different locations in the filesystem. This is probably not relevant for DCMTK though.