Building DCMTK 3.5.4 on MacOSX 10.4.5

Compilation and installation of DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

PPantalone

Building DCMTK 3.5.4 on MacOSX 10.4.5

#1 Post by PPantalone »

I have successfully used DCMTK 3.5.3 over the past 2 years on both Windows and MacOSX, but am having trouble with DCMTK 3.5.4 on MacOSX (Windows works fine). To use DCMTK on Mac I have always downloaded the source and followed the install instructions for UNIX (./configure, make, etc). When I try this with DCMTK 3.5.4 source, the executables and librarys build fine, but don't work properly. dcmdump, for example, cannot properly decode any of the fields of a standard DICOM file. It looks like it could possibly be a byte order problem. I am using gcc 4.0.1 and have tried building with threads enabled and threads disabled, with the same results.

Any thoughs on this would be greatly appreciated

Paul

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#2 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi Paul,

I've tested Mac OS X a few weeks ago, I think the last time on MacOSX 10.4.4. I'll test 10.4.5 next days at home and will write to this thread wheather I'm experiencing any problems.

Regards,
Michael

PPantalone

#3 Post by PPantalone »

Thanks Michael,

I don't believe I have anything unusual in my MacOSX build environment. Building DCMTK 3.5.3 using the same procedure and environment works fine.

Best Regards,
Paul

PPantalone

#4 Post by PPantalone »

Hi Michael,

I believe I have figured out the problem I was having on the Mac. After running dcmdump with the -d option, I saw that the 'DCMDICPATH' environment variable was not set. Once I set this to point to the DCMTK data dictionary, everything worked fine. I did not use this environment variable at all when I used DCMTK 3.5.3, and I still have not used it on Windows for 3.5.4. I assume this should be set to point to the data dictionary as a standard practice.

Regards
Paul

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#5 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi Paul,

ok, then I won't have to check that. If you do a "make install" on your Mac, everything is copied to /usr/local/dicom and the DCMTK tools etc. are looking into this directory per default when searching for the dictionary. You can modify the installation directory during configuration time, using the --prefix option from the configure script.

Regards,
Michael