automatic DCMTK connection to DNS?

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

johnmann56

automatic DCMTK connection to DNS?

#1 Post by johnmann56 »

Hello all. I wrote my own little program to write out a .dcm file to local disk, using DCMTK 3.5.4. It is compiled as a DLL and called from my main image display and manipulation program. This is all for a (very) small startup company in Ann Arbor, MI. I've been using this DLL with no problem for about a month, and then today while testing my software on a new test machine, I tried saving a .dcm file to disk. I got a warning from Norton Firewall saying my program was attempting to connect to a remote DNS. I ask, as a DICOM grunt newbie, why would this attempt to connect to a DNS happen? Is there some networking code in DCMTK that automatically connects to an external site every time a .dcm file is written or DCMTK is used, period? Thank you very much. I also suggest an emoticon for "somewhat befuddled newbie".

John

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#2 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

The dcmnet code performs a DNS lookup in order to determine the hostname of the communcation peer. This behaviour can be disabled using the --disable-host-lookup (-dhl) option that is offered by most DCMTK SCP applications.

In your source code you should add the following statement:

Code: Select all

dcmDisableGethostbyaddr.set(OFTrue);

johnmann56

#3 Post by johnmann56 »

:D :o :!:

Thank you VERY MUCH (Vielen Dank u.s.w.) for your very reassuring reply, Joerg. NWI (Nun weiss Ich).

John