WinCE

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

DanE

WinCE

#1 Post by DanE »

Has anyone tried compiling/using DCMTK on WinCE using eMbedded Visual Studio? Just wondering before I spend too much effort trying to get it to work.

Thanks,
Dan

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

I have tried it once, but the changes have not (yet) made it into the official source code, and I am not sure yet if this is worthwhile. The modifications are non-trivial, for a number of reasons:
  • Embedded VC++ does not provide an iostream library. Something as simple as cout << "hello world"; will not compile, unless you provide an iostream library from somewhere. There seem to be commercial libraries for WinCE, and I have also found one free implementation that does, however, not compile without modifications on Embedded VC++ 4 and has unclear copyright status.
  • There is no errno variable, which requires trivial modifications but in quite a number of places
  • Also quite a few of the Posix-like API functions that Visual C++ has provided for ages are absent in Embedded VC++, so emulations have to be written for those that are used by DCMTK.
  • There is no shell in WinCE, which means that the DCMTK sample tools such as storescu, storescp, dcmdump cannot be ported easily to WinCE, unless one uses some kind of shell emulation. Command line options are also an issue, because there is no such thing in WinCE.
In summary, a port is possible but not exactly easy.

DanE

#3 Post by DanE »

Thanks, this will help...