Read character set from worklist file in wlmscpfs.exe

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

entity

Read character set from worklist file in wlmscpfs.exe

#1 Post by entity »

I am a bit suprised, that a given character set value (0008,0005) is ignored, when a worllistfile is read in. Is there any reason for that behaviour? Both options for character set handling (cs0 and cs1) will delete or overwrite the value for the character set, so i can not see any reason, why the character set is ignored.

I wanted to add a new option, which uses a given character set from a worklist file for the response, but it took me a while to notice, that the character set value was not read from file. I changed that, but i am not sure, if it cause other problems.

Thanks for your help.
Steffen

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

The original (1996) worklist implementation did not support extended character sets at all (and, if I remember correctly, the expected behaviour of a SCP with regard to (0008,0005) which differs from the normal matching rules was only clarified in DICOM much later). We just added the cs0/cs1 option as a quick fix to at least support Latin 1, which addresses the needs of most people in Europe. In fact it is rather unlikely that in any given installation a worklist SCP will or should ever return two different character sets for two different C-FIND responses. But of course an option that would simply return the specific character set as contained in the worklist file would be desirable.