storscp

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

drescherjm

storscp

#1 Post by drescherjm »

I am running storscp to receive thousands of dicom images pushed from my hospital system to our imaging research department each day.

The version I am using is 3.5.4

Code: Select all

[c:\util\dicom]storescp.exe --help
$dcmtk: storescp v3.5.4 2005-12-20 $
I am having a problem with this in that after a few thousand files sent the dicom receiver causes the windows XP box to loose network connectivity. The system still runs but you can not login / logout or participate in any network activity. This does not appear to be a hardware problem. It's like XP is exhausting some resource. This is the second machine this has happened on and I actually bought a new machine thinking the machine was at fault. Before this for 5 years or so we used this same software under linux without issue. I had to pull that because the network security policies prevent me from running linux (too much red tape / difficulty getting an exception).

Any ideas. I need to solve this soon because it causing us to loose data and gets us in the embarrassing position of having to rerequest sending the same cases from the division in charge of the data..

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#2 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

In order to make sure that this issue (if there is any related to the DCMTK code at all) is not already solved, I would suggest that you test the current DCMTK snapshot.
See CHANGES.355 file for a long list of what has changed since the last release.

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#3 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi,

especially if you were running storescp in multi-process mode under windows (--fork) then we had some fixed after 3.5.4 dealing with unclosed socket handles, which might be your issue.

As Jörg does, I also recommend you to use a newer version. It should be stable enough for using it in production environment.

Best regards,
Michael

drescherjm

#4 Post by drescherjm »

Thanks for both replies. I think I am going to try to see if I can reliably reproduce the problem on a test machine (don't want to break the production box) with the old software then if that happens I will repeat the test with the 2.5.5 development version. I just built that from source without any issue.

BTW, I really like that you are using CMake that made the building very easy on windows (considering that I use CMake daily).

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#5 Post by Michael Onken »

Btw: CMake now also works under unix-like systems for DCMTK :-)

Best regards,
Michael

drescherjm

#6 Post by drescherjm »

Preliminary results is this does not appear to be a problem with storescp. I have not been able to reproduce the problem yet with the same executable that was on the machine that exhibits the bad behavior. Also the handle count in Task Manager for the storescp process does not go up overtime. I assume the handle count includes sockets as well. I will report back if I find anything..