Reading full information using DICOMDIR

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

claricardo

Reading full information using DICOMDIR

#1 Post by claricardo »

Hello,

I'm trying to get almost all information included into the files grouped by a dicomdir file. To do this, I use a dicomdir file associated to a patient with a study, which includes several series and images.

I traverse the dicomdir tree starting with the DicomDirInterface interface as posted in FAQ #30.
However, I realize not all the data included in the dcm files are included in the tree nodes. i.e. the patient's age, protocol name, photometric interpretation, window center and width, etc.
All other common info is correctly extracted. i.e. patient's name, study date and description, etc

I made a trace file with the print method and verify that only the data fields included in the printed file are available with the FindAndGet method. All other tags not included there returns NULL. Using DicomWorks I can see those tags, so they are effectively included in the files but DCMTK apparently can't find them. In other words, not all of the tags are found though they are included in the files! :?

Now, I'm interested in use DCMTK for traversing the dicomdir tree and extract all the tags I need and not only a few of them.

Which is the correct way to do this?
Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance....

wrgben

#2 Post by wrgben »

The reason that all the tags contained in each file are not included in the DICOMDIR structure is because the DICOM standard explicitly specifies which tags should be present in the DICOMDIR.

If you want to read the other tags, you need to use the DICOMDIR to get the Referenced File ID, open the file (using e.g. the DcmFileFormat class) and read the tags from there.