DIMSE_receiveDataSetInMemory runs out of virtual memory

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

feldman_joel

DIMSE_receiveDataSetInMemory runs out of virtual memory

#1 Post by feldman_joel »

i would really like to use the call DIMSE_receiveDataSetInMemory rather than DIMSE_receiveDataSetInFile for large files. is there a way to allocate more memory for DIMSE_receiveDataSetInMemory so that I can receive a 1.5 gb file? my system has 8 gb ram installed and 4 gb available when my application runs. i would think that i have enough memory but the error message states "DIMSE receiveDtaSetInMemory: dset->read() Failed (Virtual Memory exhausted)". note that my windows virtual memory setting is set for "automatically manage paging file size for all drives".

Jan Schlamelcher
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

Re: DIMSE_receiveDataSetInMemory runs out of virtual memory

#2 Post by Jan Schlamelcher »

Are you on Windows? Are you using 32 bit or 64 bit binaries? As written here, 32 bit binaries would have a 2 GiB memory limit, so most likely 1.5 GiB file + the required manament data structures won't fit with no possible workaround for that.

feldman_joel

Re: DIMSE_receiveDataSetInMemory runs out of virtual memory

#3 Post by feldman_joel »

thank you for you response and suggestion. just to let you know, i built a small program with 32 bit library to receive 1.5 gb images and it ran out of memory with the call to DIMSE_receiveDataSetInMemory, but i built same program with 64 bit library and it worked.