VS2005 express - cl broken

Compilation and installation of DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

trev

VS2005 express - cl broken

#1 Post by trev »

Hello,
I'm trying to get DCMTK 3.5.4 working with VS2005 Express and CMake 2.2.3.

When I try to run CMake I get the message:

"The C compiler 'cl' is not able to compile a simple test program. It fails with the following output"

after which there is no output. At the bottom of the CMake window there is the message:

"Checking for working C compiler: cl -broken "

I uninstalled the beta 2 version of vs2005 ( and the .NET stuff) that I was previously using with the 'autouninstall' tool that can be downloaded from microsoft. As far as I could see the installation of VS2005 Express was succesfull and I'm now a registered user.

As YuHong already pointed out to me cl.exe may be missing from my compiler Tools->Options->VC++ Directories

So I've added C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\VC\bin to the directory list for the executables but this hasn't helped (thanks anyway)

Does anyone have any ideas how I can sort this out?

Many thanks

magik51

#2 Post by magik51 »

Hi Trev,

i had the same problem (Visual express C++ 2005), i resolved it by using CMake 2.0.6 and it compiles all without any error.

But now i have a problem with link:

Code: Select all

error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __clrcall OFString::OFString(void)" (??0OFString@@$$FQAM@XZ)
XXXXX.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __clrcall OFString::~OFString(void)" (??1OFString@@$$FQAM@XZ)
XXXXX.obj : error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol "public: __clrcall OFString::OFString(class OFString const &,unsigned int,unsigned int)" (??0OFString@@$$FQAM@ABV0@II@Z)
...... for all dcmtk functions.
If someone know something to do please help me :!:

Regards

Nik

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#3 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

The unresolved external symbols probably mean that you are not linking the ofstd library (ofstd.lib) although you should.

rainerhohn

#4 Post by rainerhohn »

Try an older version of CMake. ftp://www.cmake.org/pub/cmake/v2.2/cmak ... -win32.exe works fine in my case (WinXP, MS-Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition).

This site (http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/expre ... usingpsdk/) may help, if you have problems building Win32 applications with Visual C++ 2005 Express Edition (error: 'windows.h' missing) .

greetings
Rainer Hohn