Unable to apply presentation state files

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

Alexander Fedotov

Unable to apply presentation state files

#1 Post by Alexander Fedotov »

The files are created by Philips,
but cannot be loaded by DICOMScope 3.5.1. ("Viewer" Tab)
I can send them by E-mail by your demand to find out the reason.

Regards,
Alexander.

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

I would suggest that you first run the "dcmpschk" tool from DCMTK which performs a thorough syntax check of a presentation state object. If that does not give you sufficient information, please send the presentation state plus the related image to the usual e-mail address.

Alexander Fedotov

Just sent

#3 Post by Alexander Fedotov »

[quote="Marco Eichelberg"]I would suggest that you first run the "dcmpschk" tool from DCMTK which performs a thorough syntax check of a presentation state object. [/quote]
OK. I'll do it.

[quote="Marco Eichelberg"] If that does not give you sufficient information, please send the presentation state plus the related image to the usual e-mail address.[/quote]
I have sent them anyway, maybe it will be helpfull for you.

Alexander Fedotov

DICOMScope etc.

#4 Post by Alexander Fedotov »

Well, I found the reason, thank you.

But I have some thoughts:

1) Imagine that I am not an expert user which launches DICOMScope and tries to view files produced by some company (by Philips, for example).
And it fails! And there is no explanation why!
(It really happened! I advised to my colleague to use DICOMScope :)

2) The attribute Shutter Presentation Value (0018,1622) has to be present in this case, but if it is missed a default value ("black"?) may be used.
(maybe with showing a message)
It is not an attribute without which the presentation cannot be applied at all.

3) Maybe in previous vesions of DICOM standard this attribute could be omited, or this is a Philips's bug?

Best regards,
Alexander.

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#5 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

Well, I found the reason, thank you.
Yes, dcmpschk reports the problem. The Shutter Presentation Value has always been mandatory, even in the public comment draft of Supplement 33 back in 1999. This is easy to miss, however, since the attribute is Type 3 in the Display Shutter module and Type 1C in the Presentation State Module under the condition that the Display Shutter module is present. Anyway, clearly a bug in the vendor's implementation.
Imagine that I am not an expert user which launches DICOMScope and tries to view files produced by some company (by Philips, for example). And it fails! And there is no explanation why!
DICOMscope is probably not the right tool to use if you are not an expert user :wink:
Seriously speaking, this was a contractual requirement under which we developed DICOMscope. The tool was a feasibility study for Presentation States developed for DICOM Working Group 11, and one of the conditions was that the tool should be very strict and only accept correct presentation states - actually DICOMscope will even refuse these presentation states when you try to send them to DICOMscope with storescu, because even at that stage a test is performed, also due to the agreement between our team and DICOM WG 11. This explains why we do not simply use a default value - being nice to the end user (and to the developer of presentation states) is not what DICOMscope was developed for.