dcmMaxOutgoingPDUSize usage

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

Sascha Schwarz

dcmMaxOutgoingPDUSize usage

#1 Post by Sascha Schwarz »

Dear Sirs,
while experimenting with the storescu application (dcmtk 3.5.4 on linux) I noticed that even with a --max-send-pdu option present the pdu size exceeded the given max value.

I'm wondering what may be wrong...or if I misunderstood anything.

tia,
Sascha Schwarz

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

Difficult to respond anything without any more details. --max-send-pdu is never necessary because the remote peer transmits its own max PDU size with the A-ASSOCIATE-RP message. This option is only for testing purposes, it allows to force storescu to send smaller PDUs than allowed, in order to measure the impact on network throughput. You should also note that any PDU size limit in DICOM only affects P-DATA PDUs, and not the various ACSE PDU types, which have unlimited size by definition.

Sascha Schwarz

#3 Post by Sascha Schwarz »

Marco Eichelberg wrote:You should also note that any PDU size limit in DICOM only affects P-DATA PDUs, and not the various ACSE PDU types, which have unlimited size by definition.
Ahh!
Thank you.

In fact I looked at the PDU size of the A-ASSOCIATE-RQ sent by storescu. Which obviously is not tainted by the --max-send-pdu option.

Cheers,
Sascha Schwarz

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#4 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

I looked at the PDU size of the A-ASSOCIATE-RQ sent by storescu. Which obviously is not tainted by the --max-send-pdu option
Correct. It is not and it cannot, because A-ASSOCIATE-RQ messages cannot be split into multiple PDUs, they are always transmitted as a single PDU that can, in principle, be very large (128 kBytes or more).