Installing DCMTK on Borland C++Builder 6

Compilation and installation of DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

idea

Installing DCMTK on Borland C++Builder 6

#1 Post by idea »

I must write an application using DCMTK library and Borland C++Builder 6, but i have some problem on installing DCMTK library.
I've read others threads on installation of DCMTK, but i'm not be able to do this correctly. I think i do something wrong.
Is there somebody that can explain me DETAILED STEPS to follow to install the library?

Reply soon please, i need help!
Thank you.

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

This is not a complete set of instructions, but should help to get you started.
  • Download and unpack the source code package for Windows (the ZIP archive) from here.
  • Download and install CMake from http://www.cmake.org/. CMake 2.2 is known to work with DCMTK 3.5.4, newer versions may or may not work.
  • Read the installation instructions in file INSTALL, which is part of the source code package. In particular, read the section BUILDING (Win32).
  • Now use CMake to generate Borland Makefiles for DCMTK. I would suggest that you disable all external libraries (zlib, openssl etc.) for the beginning - once you can successfully compile DCMTK without external libraries, you might also try to enable some of them and check whether the pre-compiled libraries from the DCMTK download site work with Borland C++ (they were generated with Visual Studio 6) or whether you have to manually compile the support libraries on your own. None of the support libraries is needed for the core functionality of DCMTK, though, they all add additional functions that not everybody needs.
  • Build DCMTK using the makefiles generated by CMake. Depending on the version of Borland Builder you are using, some modifications to the Makefiles or the source code might be needed for a successful compile - this is where hopefully somebody with practical experince with Borland 6 may add a few comments.

andresba

DCMTK / C++Builder installation

#3 Post by andresba »

Hello list ( ‘Mr. Idea(?)’ in particular),

Did you finally come up with a ‘detailed steps list’ to follow to install the DCMTK library for C++Builder? I couldn’t find it in the forum list, and I’m about to install it on my system… Therefore it would be nice to have all problem solved before I start. :D

Thanks in advance.

Andres

PS: I apologize for sending this msg. to everybody… I would have liked to send a private message to 'idea' (who posted a question on 2006-08-24, 10:24) and ‘Marco Eichelberg’ instead of bother the whole list with this message, but I couldn't.