pdf to dcm

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

zorro

pdf to dcm

#1 Post by zorro »

It might a simple problem for some of you.I'm trying to convert pdf to dicom.I used pdf2dcm which creates "DICOM Encapsulated PDF Storage SOP instance".Is there a way to convert it to typical dicom format so I could see it in any dicom viewer?
Thanks

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

There is no tool in DCMTK that would convert a PDF file into a DICOM image (I assume this is what you are looking for). I am actually not convinced that this is a desirable thing to have, because PDF is a file format that is well suited for storing text and graphics documents, wheras a bitmap will typically provide significantly reduced display quality at a significant increase in space. Nevertheless, it is possible in principle. You could use a tool such as Ghostscript to convert each page of a PDF document into a bitmap, and then write a tool (along the lines of pdf2dcm) to convert these bitmaps into a secondary capture image. The Multiframe Secondary Capture Single-Bit format might be particularly well suited for this task. On the long term, however, it would be preferrable to have a PDF viewing capability available as part of the DICOM workstation, and I believe that this is what many vendors will implement.