Empty pixeldata

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

GabrielBianco

Empty pixeldata

#1 Post by GabrielBianco »

Just reporting a tiny bug...

I have an image generated by a Toshiba Aquilion that has empty pixeldata (zero length). That's weird but not the point :P

Compressing this image works, decompressing it does not (DcmFileFormat::saveToFile() fails).

So I have a Dicom server that received, compressed and saved this image. When someone requests a MOVE on this image, an error occurs during decompression and the MOVE fails.

This is a bug because compressing works fine: DCMTK should be able to decompress any images that it compressed. If compressing didn't work, than it wouldn't be a bug :P

I think not allowing compression to work would be the correct behavior rather than making decompression work...

The obvious workaround is to not compress an image with empty pixeldata.

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

Interesting point, even though the problem is a little esoteric, since successfully compressing or decompressing an image with empty pixel data will not help you at all since the object as such is faulty and pointless.
The DICOM standard is actually pretty vague on whether or not a zero-size image is possible. If Rows=0 or BitsStored=0, then a legal zero-size image might be possible in certain SOP classes, and an empty image could be represented in compressed form as well as in uncompressed form. But I agree that the compressor should preferrably refuse compression of such images. Can you send an example to dicom <at> offis <dot> de and tell me which compressor exactly (DCMTK version, encoder, parameters) you have used?