Something about decompression of dicom files

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

liuxinming

Something about decompression of dicom files

#1 Post by liuxinming »

Hi, all

I remembered that in a previous post it is mentioned that dcmtk didn't support the decompressing of the files coded by jpeg2000 compression algorithm. So I believe that since dcmtk support the transformation between the jpeg2000 and other compression algorithm, I can convert the pixeldatas coded by jpeg2000 into other compressed format and then decompressed the files. Is that right?

I' ve attempted this method already but it seems not working.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#2 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

JPEG 2000 is supported as you can read on the following web page. However, it is not part of the freely available DCMTK but has to be licensed separately.
So I believe that since dcmtk support the transformation between the jpeg2000 and other compression algorithm, I can convert the pixeldatas coded by jpeg2000 into other compressed format and then decompressed the files. Is that right?
No, this is at least not true for the freely available DCMTK. Of course, you can implement and integrate the JPEG 2000 decompression into the DCMTK (in the same manner as other compression schemes which are present in the DCMTK). And, this is exactly what DCMJP2K does.