Cannot read Philips Easy Vision DICOM

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

henkjanhuisman

Cannot read Philips Easy Vision DICOM

#1 Post by henkjanhuisman »

Have some new Philips EasyVision DICOM files I which I would like to handle with dcmtk. Have processed plenty of files from our Siemens MR PET and CT machines and had some EasyVision data succesfully read earlier. If I now try to do, say, a dcmdump of the latest EasyVision DICOM I get:
DcmSequenceOfItems: Parse error in sequence, found (feff,00e0) instead of a sequence delimiter
dcmdump: error: Corrupted Data: reading file:
I have no idea how to proceed. Anybody like to have a look at these DICOM files?

Thanks,

Henkjan

jmartens

Re: Cannot read Philips Easy Vision DICOM

#2 Post by jmartens »

henkjanhuisman wrote:
DcmSequenceOfItems: Parse error in sequence, found (feff,00e0) instead of a sequence delimiter
dcmdump: error: Corrupted Data: reading file:
I have no idea how to proceed. Anybody like to have a look at these DICOM files?

Thanks,

Henkjan
Based on the failure message you received from the dcmtk I think there might be an error in the DICOM file, and the dcmtk expects a sequence delimiter item (fffe, e00d).

Normally a sequence is build like Rajesh Rapaka has written in his DICOM image structure guideline.

Just googled for the group and tag and the key word dicom and found two references to a problem concerning (feff,00e0). It statesthat this tag is the representation for "already endian swapped". I think this might have to do with some conversion between transfer syntaxis although this just a guess. The sequence should be closed with the following tag (fffe,e00d) "end of swapped tags".

Maybe the latter or the sequence delimiters are incorrectly set in the DICOM file.

Did you do some modification on it? Is it directly taken from the modality that generated the DICOM file? If you did not modify the file my guess is that Philips is encoding the file incorrectly or you may have hit a bug/flaw in the DCMTK.