findscu---about query keys

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

zagwin

findscu---about query keys

#1 Post by zagwin »

Hi, all,

Using findscu, is it possible to query some SERIES specified only by PatientName? I mean do not mention PatientID!

I have tried like this:

findscu -P 127.0.0.1 5678 -aec COMMON -k 0008,0052=SERIES -k (0010,0010)="JU*" query.dcm

it returns all the series in the database.

I tries four unique IDs, they work well.

however, PatientSex, StudyDate, StudyID, etc, they failed.

Thanks a lot
Matt

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#2 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi,

in DICOM you have to provide all unique keys (Patient ID, Study Instance UID, Series Instance UID and SOP Instance UID) down to the level that you are querying. In your example you query on SERIES level; thus, you have to provide Patient ID and Study Instance UID in the query. So if the PACS server you use would be very strict, your example query would be already rejected.

Also, a query has to be strictly hierarchical which means that when you query on PATIENT level, you can only ask for tags on that level, e.g. Patients Name, Patients Sex and so on. When querying on STUDY level you cannot use patient attributes (however, you must use PatientID for the reason above), or series/image level attributes.

You should read part 4 about query/retrieve in the DICOM standard.

Best regards,
Michael

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#3 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

DICOM also provides a more "relaxed" Q/R model that allows for so-called relational queries. However, this model is not implemented by most systems on the market (including DCMTK). See part 4 of the DICOM standard for details.

zagwin

#4 Post by zagwin »

Thanks very much both of your replies.
I should work hard and read the standard.
Matt

zagwin

#5 Post by zagwin »

I read the stranded, however, I am still confused.
in DICOM you have to provide all unique keys (Patient ID, Study Instance UID, Series Instance UID and SOP Instance UID) down to the level that you are querying. In your example you query on SERIES level; thus, you have to provide Patient ID and Study Instance UID in the query. So if the PACS server you use would be very strict, your example query would be already rejected.
If I query at SERIES level, How can I know the Patient ID, Study Instance UID, Series Instance UID before query?

How can I get all the series list for modality CT (I mean I just know the modality is CT, I do NOT know anything else)? can you give some suggestion?

How can I get all study list between date1 and date2?

Thanks alot!
Matt

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#6 Post by Michael Onken »

If I query at SERIES level, How can I know the Patient ID, Study Instance UID, Series Instance UID before query?
Because you may asked for them before. If you know a series instance uid and want to download that series, you have to first query on patient and study level to find out to which patient/study this series belongs to.
How can I get all the series list for modality CT (I mean I just know the modality is CT, I do NOT know anything else)? can you give some suggestion?
First, query for all patient IDs; then query for all study instance UIDs of those patients; then query on series level and ask for modality=CT. Yes, it is really that troublesome :)
How can I get all study list between date1 and date2?
Query for all patient IDs first and then query something like StudyDate="20100101-20101231". If you use Study Root SOP Class instead of Patient Root SOP Class, you can skip the patient ID query and start directly with the study date.

Best regards,
Michael

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#7 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

Regarding your second question: The Q/R SCP might also support the additional query/retrieve attribute Modalities in Study (0008,0061) on STUDY level.

zagwin

#8 Post by zagwin »

Hi, Michael, Jorg,

Thanks very much for you replies, now I understand it.

Matt