DIMSE messages available

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

sisicaivrai

DIMSE messages available

#1 Post by sisicaivrai »

Hi all,
I'm looking for a DICOM library and DCMTK looks great :)
I just can't find an answer to this question :
Is it possible to send N-CREATE / N-DELETE commands with the API ?

I found C-xxx commands in the documentation but none N-xxx.
I read that it's only available in a licensed version of it but I found no description about it (other than the command line tools described on the main page).

Thanks a lot,
Regards

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#2 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi,

that is actually true since in the public DCMTK no services do need N-DELETE and N-CREATE. However, we implemented both,e.g. commercial MPPS SCU and Storage Commitment SCU. Both quoted tools do that based on the DcmSCU class.

It is pretty easy. Best it to derive from DcmSCU and add a new function. Inspire yourself by looking into DcmSCU::sendStoreRequest(). You will need to setup a few member variables, and then call DcmSCU functions sendDIMSEMessage, receiveDIMSECommandand in case you get back an additional dataset, finally receiveDIMSEDataset.

Best regards,
Michael

P.S: We may add support for that in DcmSCU ourselves as soon as we need it in there.

Jörg Riesmeier
ICSMED DICOM Services
ICSMED DICOM Services

#3 Post by Jörg Riesmeier »

Michael Onken wrote:that is actually true since in the public DCMTK no services do need N-DELETE and N-CREATE.
In fact, that's not true: For example, "dcmprscu" and "dcmprscp" from the public "dcmpstat" module use N-DELETE and N-CREATE.
However, they do not use the SCU class since it was not available at the time these two tools were developed (about 10 years ago).

Btw, 49 postings left ...

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#4 Post by Michael Onken »

Oops, sorry, then I was a little inaccurate ;) At least in dcmnet there is no direct API for sending N-CREATE/N-DELETE. The underlying methods of course do support it and there are (forgot them;) "high level" applications that show how they can be used.
However, I would still recommend adding them to DcmSCU and using that class.

Michael

sisicaivrai

#5 Post by sisicaivrai »

Thank you for the fast answer !