Noise removal

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

Chung-Yueh Lien

#16 Post by Chung-Yueh Lien »

J. Riesmeier wrote:Maybe, it's too obvious but images of the SOP Class DigitalMammographyXRayImageStorageForProcessing are not meant to be displayed. This is the reason why there is another SOP Class called DigitalMammographyXRayImageStorageForPresentation. The latter (your "Control Image") is displayed correctly as you said.
You can also check whether the configuration of SOP Classes is changed on the GE workstation( or modality) or not. It is possible to create a series of transformation modles for the type of DigitalMammographyXRayImageStorageForProcessing that image can be displayed "correctly". I'm meaning "correctly" is not a proper adjective for the presentation of a DICOM image.

For creating a presentation state for a DICOM image, you can use dcmpstat.
For creating a Look-Up Table (LUT) for a DICOM image, you can use dcmmklut.

Chung-Yueh

JL

#17 Post by JL »

[quote="Michael Onken"]
If you want us to look at the image, you may send a sample to dicom at offis dot de.
Michael[/quote]
I would be much appreciated if your group can take a look at the image study. What exactly is the proper address? The one you quoted seems to be missing something "offis.de".
Thank you.
John

JL

#18 Post by JL »

[quote="Chung-Yueh Lien"]
You can also check whether the configuration of SOP Classes is changed on the GE workstation( or modality) or not. It is possible to create a series of transformation modles for the type of [/quote]

Unfortunately, we don't have the GE MG workstation and the associated Siemens viewing station. We replaced these devices from another manufacturer. But thank you very much for your advise. I shall look into the functionality of dcmpstat and dcmmklut

Regards,
John

JL

#19 Post by JL »

[quote="J. Riesmeier"]Maybe, it's too obvious but images of the SOP Class DigitalMammographyXRayImageStorage[b]ForProcessing[/b] are not meant to be displayed. [/quote]

Would you be so kind as to explain what does the image with SOP class "DigitalMammographyXRayImageStorageForProcessing" used for?

It probably is the reason why I see the washout image on the image with such tag. I will investigate further with other similar image studies.

Interestingly, before the equipment switch (from GE/Siemens to Hologic/Barco), no one reported such milky mask occurrences on the image studies. But I could be wrong.

Thanks in advance.
John

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#20 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi John,

images for processing is more or less raw data from the detector, i.e. not processed by further algorithms that filter the image in order to make it visually "appealing" to the user. Those images can be used for further research, CAD processing and the like.

In order to compute an image for presentation out of it, the vendor does some processing that is beyond of what DICOM specifies. Maybe you can find information about the processing done in the private tag of the image, but I do not think it will be enough to reconstruct those steps.

Overall, there is no simple way to process the "for processing" images into "for presentation" ones. See also my email to you on that topic.

Best regards,
Michael