issue with refFileID when using dcmmkdir

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

huangj7

issue with refFileID when using dcmmkdir

#1 Post by huangj7 »

Hi all,

I am creating DICOMDIR file with the dcmmkdir program. I am having an issue in which I can't load the DICOM images if the DICOMDIR file is not located in the same directory as the images. For example, let's say that my DICOM images are located in the C:\Program\Images\AAA and I want to create a DICOMDIR file in the C:\Program\Images folder. I am issuing the command: "dcmmkdir 000000I1 +id C:\Program\Images\AAA +D C:\Program\Images -Pfl". After creating the DICOMDIR file, I would open the PACS system and go to the C:\Program\Images directory. I can see the file but once I try to open the file, it would tell me that there was an error loading the images.

I used the dcmdump program to read the DICOMDIR file and I believe the problem is due to the refFileID. I noticed that the reffileID for the example I provided is 000000I1 when it should be AAA\000000I1. Is there a way I can force the program to reference the AAA folder as well? I tried using the recurse options but it did not make any difference in the refFileID.

Thank you in advance.

huangj7

Re: issue with refFileID when using dcmmkdir

#2 Post by huangj7 »

I noticed that my post was moved to "Make DICOMDIR images are not in same study" post but I want to clarify that my issue is not with the DICOM images not showing up in the same study. All my images show up in the same study. The issue is that the subdirectory of the DICOM images are not included in the DICOMDIR file, specifically at the refFileID section. I was wondering what I can do to reference the subdirectory in the DICOMDIR file.

I want to clarify that the DICOM images (000000I1, 000000I2, 000000I3, etc) are in folder AAA (e.g. C:\Images\AAA). I want to have the DICOMDIR file to be in the directory C:\Images. Thus, the refFileID for the DICOM images should be: AAA\000000I1, AAA\000000I2, AAA\000000I3, etc. Currently, the refFileID in the DICOMDIR file is 000000I1, 000000I2, 000000I3, etc. How can I properly reference these images in the DICOMDIR file?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions/help you can provide.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: issue with refFileID when using dcmmkdir

#3 Post by J. Riesmeier »

First of all, nobody merged your posting with another one ...

Regarding your original question: The documentation of dcmgpdir contains some hints on how your problem could be solved. You should specify the input directory with "+id C:\Images" and then add option +r (for recursive search) and/or specify the directories as parameters "AAA BBB CCC ...".