DCMQRSCP compressed/uncompressed automatic configuration

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

schalemanie

DCMQRSCP compressed/uncompressed automatic configuration

#1 Post by schalemanie »

Guten Tag,

Ich habe eine Frage bezüglich des dcmqrscp Programms.

Wir nutzen das Programm für Query/Retrieve Operationen um Bilddaten mit einer 3rd Party Software abzurufen.
Wenn die Bilddaten eine Explicite Little Endian Transfer Syntax Besitzen funktioniert der Transfer ohne Probleme. Wenn die Bilder allerdings eine JPEG Lossless Transfer Syntax besitzen bekomme ich immer eine Fehlermeldung : Out Of Ressources.

Ich habe herausgefunden, das durch das hinzufügen des parameters -xs die JPEG lossless transfer syntax vorgeschlagen wird, allerdings muss ich auch bei der 3rd Party Software z.B. OsiriX die bevorzugte Transfer Syntax von Explicite Little Endian auf JPEG Lossless umstellen. Durch diese configuration ist der Transfer leider nur umständlich nutzbar, da je nach Bilddaten in beiden Programmen änderungen vorgenommen werden müssen. Denn mit dem -xs Parameter können wiederum keine Explicite Little Endian Bilder übertragen werden.

Gibt es eine einfache Konfiguration des dcmqrscp Programms das sämtliche Transfer Syntax unterstützt und Übertragen werden können? Das heißt das die richtige Transfer Syntax automatisch vorgeschlagen wird. Und das Die 3rd Party Software nicht je nach Datensatz umkonfiguriert werden muss?

Vielen Dank für Ihre Hilfe.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Karl Schmidt

omarelgazzar

Re: DCMQRSCP compressed/uncompressed automatic configuration

#2 Post by omarelgazzar »

Hello,

If you propose the JPEG lossless transfer syntax using -xs option and the OSIRIX application does not support this transfer syntax, then the dcmqrscp should be able to do on-the-fly decompression of the JPEG files to convert the files to the uncompressed syntax accepted by OSIRIX (e.g. Explicit Little Endian). I'm not sure if this option is now supported in dcmqrscp but you can modify the source code to add on-the-fly decompression support. see the compiler flag ON_THE_FLY_COMPRESSION in storescu tool.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#3 Post by J. Riesmeier »

First of all, welcome to the discussion forum for the OFFIS DICOM Tools. However, could you please write your future postings in English language!?
Denn mit dem -xs Parameter können wiederum keine Explicite Little Endian Bilder übertragen werden.
That's not true. The command line help says:

Code: Select all

-xs   --propose-lossless      propose default JPEG lossless TS
                                  and all uncompressed transfer syntaxes
Of course, this requires that the the receiver (storage SCP) does not prefer a transfer syntax that differs from the one of the DICOM dataset to be sent.
Gibt es eine einfache Konfiguration des dcmqrscp Programms das sämtliche Transfer Syntax unterstützt und Übertragen werden können? Das heißt das die richtige Transfer Syntax automatisch vorgeschlagen wird.
The short answer is "no". The slightly longer answer would be: "Yes, with some changes to the source code."

You have to understand that nobody thought about compression when dcmqrscp (formerly known as "imagectn") has been developed about 20 years ago as one of the first two DICOM-aware image archives worldwide. The --prefer-xxx and --propose-xxx options have been added much later, more or less as a kind of workaround. There are more recent network tools in the DCMTK like dcmsend, which support a more sophisticated mechanism for negotiating an association.

schalemanie

#4 Post by schalemanie »

Thank you very much for your answers and sorry for the german post.

That means the transfer to a 3rd party software can never be implemented from the dcmqrscp to work with all different kind of softwares? There is always some configuration needed at the 3rd party software?

I have encountered all differnent typs of problems.
Some seems only to accept images transferred in the preferred transfer syntax.
Other software does not except explicite little endian images if the paramter -xs is set. Then only jpeg lossless is accepted. When removing the -xs paramter i can also only transfer explicite little endian. But in this case i do not need to change anything at the 3rd party software i "just" need to change the configuration for dcmqrscp.

So if i understand this correctly i would need to figure out the preferred transfer syntax of the 3rd party software and then convert the image data into this transfer syntax in order to make sure that a lot of 3rd party software is supported and can retrieve the images from dcmqrscp.

Does someone has any experience with this?

Regards
Karl