OPEN SSL security problem

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

ziashahid

OPEN SSL security problem

#1 Post by ziashahid »

Dear ALL!

Can anyone help me to create certificate file and DH parameter file creation.

thanks in advance.

regards
zia

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

All of that can be done with OpenSSL, documentation should be plenty on the internet. DCMTK contains a perl script dcmtls/tests/dcmtk_ca.pl that allows to easily set-up a certification authority and create key pairs (private keys and certificates), but only for RSA keys, not for DH. As long as you work with RSA keys, there is no need for a DH parameter file. Note that DICOM requires certain RSA ciper suites to be supported by each conforming application, so using DH certificates brings you outside the DICOM standard anyway.

ziashahid

#3 Post by ziashahid »

dear Marco!

thanks for reply, but i am unable to understand that what is SEED FILE and how do i create it? Actually, i am developing a DICOM client and want to connect to DICOM server , i am having ur DCMTK 3.5.3 toolkit (For VC++). Can u help me in connecting via TLS secured layer to the DICOM server.

can u send me a code to do this

regards
zia

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#4 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

If you really want to use TLS based security, read the OpenSSL documentation. The topic is too complicated to explain everything to you in this forum. A seed file is just a file containing random information and is used in OpenSSL to initialize the status of the pseudo random generator (PRNG). If you had carefully read the documentation provided with DCMTK, you would have noticed file dcmtls/docs/randseed.txt which explains in detail how such a seed file can be generated on different operating systems.