What happens if (a question about storescu)

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

JustSomeGuy

What happens if (a question about storescu)

#1 Post by JustSomeGuy »

If the files I have on disk are stored in a transfer syntax other than the negotiated transfer syntax what happens?
Does storescu know how to transcode from on storage syntax to the negotiated transfer syntax?
Does it require that you know the storage syntax of the files on disk?

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: What happens if (a question about storescu)

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

If the files I have on disk are stored in a transfer syntax other than the negotiated transfer syntax what happens?
Does storescu know how to transcode from on storage syntax to the negotiated transfer syntax?
If the transfer syntax of the stored DICOM file and the transfer that has been negotiated for the corresponding SOP class are both one of the three uncompressed transfer syntaxes, the conversion between these transfer syntaxes takes place automatically. This is also true for Deflated (ZIP) if storescu has been compiled with Zlib support.
Does it require that you know the storage syntax of the files on disk?
Usually, storescu does not look into the stored files to be sent. However, when using option --required (-R) the tool checks whether the list of proposed presentation contexts can be shortened to those entries that are actually needed (i.e. not all supported SOP classes, which is the default).