Convert a Dicom Image from Presentation State to Jpeg

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

midgestanger

Convert a Dicom Image from Presentation State to Jpeg

#1 Post by midgestanger »

Hi,

I just wanted to check whether it was possible to create a Jpeg image of a presentation state Dicom file. I.e. can I produce a Jpeg image of the original Dicom file and any comments or Marks that have been added to that image - that have been saved in the Presentation State Dicom information.

I seem to think this can be done using DCMP2PGM - if this can indeed be done and I am looking at the correct program, do I provide DCMP2PGM with the Presentation State Dicom file?

Thanks,

Midge

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: Convert a Dicom Image from Presentation State to Jpeg

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

The tool dcmp2pgm comes pretty close to your requirements. However, it neither does create an output image in JPEG format nor supports all aspects of a GSPS (Grayscale Softcopy Presentation State). The latter is a consequence of the design decision for DICOMscope that all annotations are rendered by the Java GUI code and not by the underlying DCMTK C++ code.

midgestanger

#3 Post by midgestanger »

Hi,

If dcmp2pgm is not the correct program to use to convert a Dicom Presentation State file to an image (JPEG, BMP etc.) is there a another option? All I would like to achieve is to be able to get an image of some description (JPEG, BMP, TIFF, PNG etc) of the original Dicom File with any marks added to the image that are stored in the Presentation State.

Is this possible?

Many thanks,

Midge

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#4 Post by J. Riesmeier »

is there a another option?
You could write your own tool based on the classes from DCMTK's "dcmpstat" module.