DcmQueryRetrieveSCP transfer syntax in a subclass

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

st80rules

DcmQueryRetrieveSCP transfer syntax in a subclass

#1 Post by st80rules »

Hi,

I'm using a subclass of DcmQueryRetrieveSCP, but it doesn't accept jpeg compressed transfer syntaxes. How can I change that? I found the negotiateAssociation() method in the superclass, but I fail to see how my subclass can tailor the behavior. That method has a case() statement that seems to indicate that only one compression scheme can be accepted. How can I ensure that any jpeg compressed file is accepted by my server?

Thanks!

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: DcmQueryRetrieveSCP transfer syntax in a subclass

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

First of all, you have to understand that the "dcmqrscp" has not been developed with having "subclassing" (or object orientation at all) in mind. In fact, the predecessor (called "imagectn") had been developed in ANSI C (back in 1993) and the wrapping into C++ classes has not been done very thoroughly (IMHO)... also compressed transfer syntaxes were not supported in the first implementation.

Having said that, the DcmQueryRetrieveSCP::negotiateAssociation() method checks for the "preferred" transfer syntax and sets the array of acceptable transfer syntaxes accordingly. Of course, you could enhanced this mechanism in order to accept "all" transfer syntaxes as it was done for the storescp option --accept-all some time ago (see source code of this tool for details).

By the way, I personally would not try to extend the "dcmqrdb/scp" implementation but rather start from scratch using the class DcmSCP (from the "dcmnet" module).