Unable to open DCM file

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

JL

Unable to open DCM file

#1 Post by JL »

Hello All,
I am trying to access a dicom study. But the app that I use cannot access the image data. I used dcmdump to try to look into the header of an extracted image study. It returned the following:
E: DcmElement: PixelData (7fe0,0010) larger (27262976) than remaining bytes in file
E: dcmdump: I/O suspension or premature end of stream: reading file: 1.2.840.113681.2887398417.1446100043.5044.972

What does the error mean?
Is there a way I can fix it?

I tried to open the dcm file with a generic viewer which can handle dcm file. It refused to load the image and put up an error.
Thanks in advance.
JL

JL

Re: Unable to open DCM file

#2 Post by JL »

More info.
I am using the Philips Dicom viewer to look at the dcm files in this study. The viewer is able to display the Dicom header (of individual images within the study) but when I clicked on Dicom Image, it said: Error, PixelData Missing.
The average size of individual image is about 26MB. It is MG.
Not sure what happen here with this study.
I have no issues looking at the images from other studies generated before and after this study was generated, i.e. I can open and view them and they have roughly the same size within reasonable variation from person to person.
JL

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#3 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi,

that simply means what it says: (Nearly) every element in DICOM has an explicit length telling the reader (DCMTK, ...) how many bytes are reserved for the value of that element. In your case the length of the Pixel Data element in the file is bigger than the bytes actually left in the file at that position.

You can try to fix the Pixel Data element length in a hex editor to fix the image.

Since this is not really a DCMTK-related question this might not be the right place for it; consider to ask in the DICOM newsgroup which is also mirrored at Google groups.

Best,
Michael

ionut.vaida

#4 Post by ionut.vaida »

Hi,

I have same problem with some files from Philips Allura Xper FD20.
When i try to get tags with dcmdump it returns following message:

W: Found element (2001,9000) with VR UN and undefined length, reading a sequence with transfer syntax LittleEndianImplicit (CP-246)
W: DcmItem: Length of element (0008,0016) is odd
E: DcmElement: Unknown Tag & Data (46ad,0e0d) larger (2373109900) than remaining bytes in file
E: dcmdump: I/O suspension or premature end of stream: reading file: 1.dcm

I try to open with Phillips Dicom Viewer and it say that is not dicom file.
RadiantDicom Viewer opens is.

Can someone help me?

Thanks

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#5 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi,

try dcmdump's (or dcmconv, to "repair" the file) --disable-cp246 option in order to work around an illegal encoding in the file.

Best,
Michael

ionut.vaida

#6 Post by ionut.vaida »

Michael Onken wrote:Hi,

try dcmdump's (or dcmconv, to "repair" the file) --disable-cp246 option in order to work around an illegal encoding in the file.

Best,
Michael
Thanks

i use option --disable-cp246 but now in my file sopclassUID VR is UN and vhen i try to get the value value is 31
how to "repair" that problem?

thanks again

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#7 Post by Michael Onken »

Maybe the problem in the file is different from the one actually handled by Correction Proposal 246. You have to analyze the file (manually, hex editor) to know more.
You can also ask in the DICOM newsgroup (google mirror) whether other people already did that for broken files from that machine and have a solution to fix it.

Best,
Michael

ionut.vaida

#8 Post by ionut.vaida »

hi,
i succesfully converted dcm file using -ui +uc parameters, but if i receive in dcmscp server that kind of files i have problems. how can i change dcmscp to accept that files.

Thanks you

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

#9 Post by Michael Onken »

Probably the file is still broken, probably it does not make sense to continue your workflow before fixing it in a meaningful way (SOP Class UID is important...). Also without knowing the error or the tool (do you mean storescp?) it's not possible to help.

ionut.vaida

#10 Post by ionut.vaida »

thanks for advice
i use dcmEnableCP246support.set(FALSE); and dcmEnableUnknownVRConversion.set(TRUE) and works.

Thanks