Multiframe BMP image supported in DCMTK

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

sriramg

Multiframe BMP image supported in DCMTK

#1 Post by sriramg »

I am newbie to DCMTK and exploring the existing options. Currently able to generate a single DCM file out of a single frame BMP/JPEG input image with dcm dataset using "img2dcm.exe".
My research work requires to generate DCM file out of multiframe image input (multiple BMP/JPEG) files with dcm dataset.

Is this possible? If yes can you please provide the following details:
1) Which version of DCMTK supports multiframe and its git path?
2) Procedure to the generate such a DCM file from multiframe images
3) May be some examples including sample input images
4) Till what input image size does DCMTK support (Hardware specification if any for processing huge image files say for example whether 8GB RAM is enough to process 15GB image file)?

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

Re: Multiframe BMP image supported in DCMTK

#2 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi,

see my response in your other thread.

DICOM itself supports maximum image resolution of 65535x65535. The pixel data in uncompressed(1) images must be smaller than ~4,2 GB (2^32-1 I think). You can have more or less unlimited pixel data size if you use compressed pixel data (e.g. JPEG Lossless transfer syntax).
But probably you want to split up your compressed DICOM objects at a certain threshold since you also must transfer them in one piece, and make it not too difficult for the receiver to handle them (note that you cannot convert them to an uncompressed DICOM object, so you cannot send it to a receiver not understanding JPEG Lossless any more if the pixel data is larger than ~4,2 GB in uncompressed form).

Best,
Michael