findscu returns more fields than expected

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

bnoeafk

findscu returns more fields than expected

#1 Post by bnoeafk »

I have a feeling that this actually isn't a DCMTK issue, but rather a vendors DICOM implementation, but wanted to run it by to make sure.

When I use findscu against a PACS (Philips iSite in this particular case), and I specify particular tags using "-k" options in my query, I notice when I analyse the response back I see that (in some cases) I get DICOM tag 0020,0010 ("Study ID").

I do not request this tag in my -k options and I understand that some studies don't have a StudyID ... but if I don't ask for that tag in the first place (using findscu), am I correct that PACS may send it to me anyway, if the study has it, as part of their setup, rather than what I've actually asked for?

Michael Onken
DCMTK Developer

Re: findscu returns more fields than expected

#2 Post by Michael Onken »

Hi,

you are right, this is no findscu issue. The server is never permitted to send any attributes back that you did not ask for. There are a few exceptions:
  • Specialized attributes (e.g. Specific Characterset, Retrieve AE Title in Q/R)
  • Attributes within a sequence if the sequence has been sent empty by the client (or extra items with attributes)
StudyID does not belong to one of those exceptions.

Best,
Michael