Signed Short Pixel Representation sample file

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

vikram.surendra

Signed Short Pixel Representation sample file

#1 Post by vikram.surendra »

Hi,
I am new to DICOM testing. I have used DVTk for testing DCMTK library integrated with our source code.

I picked up a DCM file from web and sent N-SET-RQ (Basic Grayscale Image Box) by changing just Pixel Representation = 1

The DCMTK library throws below error

"cannot update Basic Grayscale Image Box: illegal pixel representation value:"

Question :
1. Changing just the pixel representation = 1 should NOT ideally work as the pixel itself has to be now in Signed Short format right ?
2. What is the procedure to change any DCM file with Unsigned short to Signed short ?
3. Can you give an example copy of DVTk command which can help in testing this ?

Thanks

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

Re: Signed Short Pixel Representation sample file

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

1. Changing just the pixel representation = 1 should NOT ideally work as the pixel itself has to be now in Signed Short format right ?
In a Basic Grayscale Image Box N-SET-RQ, Pixel Representation is required to have the value 0
(as per the definition of the service in DICOM part 4). DCMTK checks this and reports an error,
because the N-SET-RQ is now malformed.
2. What is the procedure to change any DCM file with Unsigned short to Signed short ?
In brief, you cannot "change any DCM file with Unsigned short to Signed short".
If you are looking for valid DICOM images with signed pixel representation, look
for CT images e.g. from GE scanners, these usually have signed pixels.
3. Can you give an example copy of DVTk command which can help in testing this ?
No. Perhaps anyone else in the forum, or the people in the DVTk forum can help.