Simplify output of dcmsend, findscu and movescu

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

martinrame

Simplify output of dcmsend, findscu and movescu

#1 Post by martinrame »

Hi, I use findscu, dcmsend and movescu from shell scripts, they of course work, but parsing its output is quite complicated. Is there a possibility in future versions to add an "--output-as-json" option to those tools to let them output results as JSON to easy it's parsing?.

Regards,
Leonardo.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: Simplify output of dcmsend, findscu and movescu

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Thank you for your (feature) request. findscu already has various --extract options for extracting the C-FIND response datasets to various formats, including DICOM and XML. I don't think that it makes sense to add further output formats since all DCMTK tools are basically meant as sample programs that demonstrate how to use the toolkit. I personally would also prefer XML instead of JSON.

If you think differently about it, you could, of course, provide a patch for the tools you are interested in. Also see this blog posting: https://blog.jriesmeier.com/2013/03/how ... the-dcmtk/

martinrame

#3 Post by martinrame »

J. Riesmeier wrote: Mon, 2019-05-27, 13:51 Thank you for your (feature) request. findscu already has various --extract options for extracting the C-FIND response datasets to various formats, including DICOM and XML. I don't think that it makes sense to add further output formats since all DCMTK tools are basically meant as sample programs that demonstrate how to use the toolkit. I personally would also prefer XML instead of JSON.

If you think differently about it, you could, of course, provide a patch for the tools you are interested in. Also see this blog posting: https://blog.jriesmeier.com/2013/03/how ... the-dcmtk/
Thanks, I didn't know the --extract options. Is there a way to output the resulting XML to stdout?.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#4 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Is there a way to output the resulting XML to stdout?
No, currently not. This would either require a new option or the filename specified for the --extract-xml-single option should be checked for "-" (as it is done e.g. in xml2dcm).