scu is blocking the network

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

eninyo

scu is blocking the network

#1 Post by eninyo »

hi,
i'm using scu executable to send dicom data. since the scan is of enhanced CT it is very large (about 500MB).
since i'm using wifi (2.4Ghz), the transmission blocks anything else on the network while it didn't finish.

can i set some flags or something that won't block the network while sending the dicom data?

thanks in advance,

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: scu is blocking the network

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

This is something that could probably be specified at your Wifi access point, e.g. Quality of Service (QoS) or bandwidth limits. Depending on the operating system that you use, there might also be tools to manipulate the traffic control settings, e.g "tc" or "wondershaper" on Linux.

eninyo

#3 Post by eninyo »

Thanks for the response.
I haven't touch the qos configuration on my router. You're right that there is bandwidth limits due to reception.
The question is can something be done from the scu configuration side? Like dividing big one file scans to small frames so that in between the frame the other network topology frames can go through. Or the only option is to develop somekind of traffic manipulation?

In this case I'm sending a scan from windows to linux machine.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#4 Post by J. Riesmeier »

The question is can something be done from the scu configuration side? Like dividing big one file scans to small frames so that in between the frame the other network topology frames can go through. Or the only option is to develop somekind of traffic manipulation?
Technically speaking, this would be possible, e.g. by using a Concatenation of Instances if the original DICOM SOP Instance is a multi-frame image (like Enhanced CT Image IOD as in your case). However, the sender needs to split the huge SOP Instance into multiple smaller ones and the receiver also needs to support the Concatenation of Instances...
In this case I'm sending a scan from windows to linux machine.
... so it would probably be much easier to limit the bandwidth of the transmission with tools such as NetLimiter (I never tried this one since I am a Linux guy).