Sending multiple images to a DICIM server

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

Horst Balthasar

Sending multiple images to a DICIM server

#1 Post by Horst Balthasar »

During an examination on our medical device, the doctor wants to save several images and send them to a DICOM server.

What is the best way to do this:

1. at each save, write the image to a DICOM file and send it to the server. (Same StudyInstanceUID, different SOPInstanceUID ???)

2. write all taken images into one DICOM file and send it to the server.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: Sending multiple images to a DICIM server

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

The "best way" is to base the decision on what types of images and modalities are involved. DICOM defines various image IODs (Information Object Definition) for quite different purposes. So, the choice between 1. and 2. should only be made after you've decided which IOD is (or IODs are) to be used.

Horst Balthasar

#3 Post by Horst Balthasar »

We use the SecondaryCaptureImageStorage.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#4 Post by J. Riesmeier »

For the Secondary Capture Image IOD, the decision is rather easy: this IOD only supports single frame images.

May I ask: why did you choose this IOD? Usually, it only makes sense to use it if there is no other (more specific) image IOD that meets the requirements, which also includes the case that the intended SCPs do not support anything else.

Horst Balthasar

#5 Post by Horst Balthasar »

This means that i should use one of the MultiFrames IOD's.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#6 Post by J. Riesmeier »

You mean one of the Multi-frame Secondary Capture Image IODs?
What kind of acquisition modality do you have (see above)?

Horst Balthasar

#7 Post by Horst Balthasar »

Our medical device is a digital colposcope that captures and stores the color images without any compressions from digital cameras.

MultiframeTrueColorSecondaryCaptureImageStorage would be an option.
But I thought that the MultiframeXXX IOD's are for videos. But in our case it is a sequence of several images, where the patient
always has the same position.

A study contains 1 or more series. A series contains 1 or more Instances/Images. Therefore it was my thought to save several images/instances
belonging to the respective study into one file.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#8 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Our medical device is a digital colposcope that captures and stores the color images without any compressions from digital cameras.
MultiframeTrueColorSecondaryCaptureImageStorage would be an option.
Yes, but wouldn't one of the Visible Light Image IODs be more appropriate?
But I thought that the MultiframeXXX IOD's are for videos. But in our case it is a sequence of several images, where the patient
always has the same position.
Whether the frames of a DICOM multi-frame image are interpreted as a video or not depends on the particular IOD and the presence/value of certain attributes, e.g. in the Enhanced CT Image IOD the frames typically have a spatial relationship.
A study contains 1 or more series. A series contains 1 or more Instances/Images. Therefore it was my thought to save several images/instances
belonging to the respective study into one file.
For example, for the Multi-frame True Color Secondary Capture Image IOD the Cine Module has to be present If Frame Increment Pointer (0028,0009) is Frame Time (0018,1063) or Frame Time Vector (0018,1065), i.e. you would have to specify the "playback speed" (Frame Time (0018,1063)).

Horst Balthasar

#9 Post by Horst Balthasar »

You are absolutely right about the Visible Light Image IOD.

Since the Visible Light Image IOD is a single frame IOD, i have to write each captured image to a file and send it the server.

Do i have to change the StudyInstanceUID or SeriesInstanceUID each time for the respective examination or just the SOP Instance UID
while the other UIDs remains the same ?

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#10 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Since the Visible Light Image IOD is a single frame IOD, i have to write each captured image to a file and send it the server.
In fact, there are also VL Image IODs for video data but since your images are no videos it make no sense to use one of them (as far as I understood your use case).
Do i have to change the StudyInstanceUID or SeriesInstanceUID each time for the respective examination or just the SOP Instance UID
while the other UIDs remains the same ?
The answer depends on the general workflow and the DICOM network services that are used. But as a rule of thumb: if the images are acquired during a single examination and even within a single so-called procedure step, they should be stored in the same Series; of course, all patient, study and series related information should then be identical for all instances (images).

Horst Balthasar

#11 Post by Horst Balthasar »

Thank you very match!