movescu error, while findscu and echoscu works fine

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

handwerker

movescu error, while findscu and echoscu works fine

#1 Post by handwerker »

hi,

after successful findscu, the moving with movescu throwed a suspicous error.

the movescu command was:

movescu -S -k 0020,000d="1.2.3.4.5" -k 0008,0052="STUDY" -aet TEST -aec JOKE 127.0.0.1 104

you might see, the StudyUID, AET, AEC, IP and port are absolutly not important. in regular case you get a long description and an information saying something like "this ip could not be found".

in my case the only answer is:

movescu: cannot create network:
0006:031c: TCP Initialization Error: No Error

that's it. of course the echoscu and findscu command (similar to the movescu with the same ip) functioned well. it also fails when i'm using the ip of the computer running the commandbox and there is no versionnumber before the error. the error comes straight in next line after the command.

the system is win2k pro and i've only copied the echoscu.exe, findscu.exe and movescu.exe. changeing movescu.exe makes no difference and using any movescu.exe on other computers works fine.

with regards

handwerker

handwerker

#2 Post by handwerker »

OH!

it's not an Win2kPro machine, but a Win2003Server system!!!

does it make a difference?

pim_philipse

#3 Post by pim_philipse »

Since you didn't specify the --port where movescu should listen on for the moved instances, it will use port 104, which happens to be used by the server as well. So specify a different port always. Make sure the scp knows about this port.

Incidentally, even if the move destination AET is not MOVESCU, the movescu program will still try to listen on port 104 unless you specify another number. So whenever using movescu on the same computer as another DICOM scp, specify --port 2000 or something like that to avoid the "cannot create network" error.

handwerker

#4 Post by handwerker »

@pim

thanks, but it doesn't work. but i stay on it, may i'm wrong or it's a base for finding the real mistake. :idea:

using command:

movescu -S -k 0020,000d="1.2.3.4.5" -k 0008,0052="STUDY" -aet TEST --port 5555 -aec JOKE 127.0.0.1 104

but the error stays the same. trying to reproduce the mistake with the port on other computers was also not successful. on other computers there is a long (as expected) error ending with practicable information about peer or port and "TCP Initialization Error: No Error".

except of the ending, everything differs from my error "message".

can win 2003 be the problem. why does findscu and echoscu works, while movescu dont. i still miss the "Request Parameters:"&co.

as "software designer" (hmhm^^) ... i would say the short errormessage shows an "early" error in application's code ... but i can be wrong. movescu seems to accept the syntax of my command (is the syntax worng, it throws the expected error .. we all are familiar with it) , but i don't think, it fully analysis the semantics of the command. would it be so, the "Request Parameters"&co. could be seen at output. so i'm sure, movescu doesn't understand the semantics of my parameters and can't find the right processing path inside itself ... and so maybe it throws an unexpected error message ... but why can't movescu understand the parameters just on this single machine (while on others it works fine)? :roll:

handwerker

#5 Post by handwerker »

P.S.

The specification of AEM doesn't change the result here.

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

#6 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

The error message "movescu: cannot create network" indeed indicates that something has gone wrong during the initialization of the application. Most likely, the creation of the listen socket (function "initializeNetworkTCP" in dcmnet/libsrc/dimse.cc) has failed for some reason I cannot really determine. The funny "TCP Initialization Error: No Error" message is an artifact of the Win32 port of DCMTK - the winsock library does not set the errno variable in all cases where the original BSD sockets do, so strerror() produces "No error" even though some socket call has failed.
Hard to say whether the problem is related to Win2003. Are you sure that port 5555 is really available for movescu to use?

handwerker

#7 Post by handwerker »

Thank you again for the replies!

Well, everything on this machine works fine, except movescu called by my application. But solving the problem is for me unefficient, because it's possible to start the move from (many) other machine in the network. So, I've taken the easy way and moved my app to another computer ... and it works and works and works ... :-)