movescu retrieve order

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

domenico.aquino

movescu retrieve order

#1 Post by domenico.aquino »

Dear all,

I finally managed findscu and movescu to query/retrieve DICOM images from our PACS.
I have only one more question: the images are downloaded (and named) not in acquisition order but in another order I have not understood. In other words, when I look at them sequentially I don't see sequential MR sections (1,2,3...and so on) but random order sections (for example: 120, 10, 156, 23, ...).
At the moment I resolved with dcmdump: after retrieve, I rename each one with some of the tags (one is the InstanceNumber) and adding the '.dcm' extension. For example: MR-3D_FLAIR-001.dcm
The extraction with dcmdump however is not so fast, so when I have more than 3000 images I waste some time only for this operation.
Is there a way to retrieve the images with the right order (and with *.dcm extension)?

Thanks a lot

Domenico

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: movescu retrieve order

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

The order in which the SOP Instance are sent is defined the the Query/Retrieve SCP, e.g. the PACS.
The filename of the SOP Instances that are stored as DICOM files is defined by the (receiving) Storge SCP.

If the Storage SCP would be storescp or dcmrecv, the file extension ".dcm" could be specified by the command line option -fe (--file-extension).
In order to speed up your dcmdump calls, you should call this tool with option -M and print only those data elements you are interested in (using option +P).

Of course, you could also modify the source code of storescp, dcmrecv or movescu to rename the files according to your naming scheme...