Browser display of jp2k frames

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

jdinca

Browser display of jp2k frames

#1 Post by jdinca »

Hello,

(Apologies if this has been asked before, but the forum search functionality seems to be down right now.)

I'd like to see how people are rendering DICOM jp2k images in a browser and gather opinions of good ways to do this given lack of native support. One can pull jp2k frames from, say, a DICOM volume, but for display these must be in a supported format (e.g., png or jpeg). So this requires jp2k decoding to be deployed to do the conversion. There are plenty of tools out there that bode well for use within a browser (i.e., JavaScript based), but is there a better or faster way of doing this?

Again, sorry if this has been asked or is deemed off-topic!

Thank you.

Jonathan.

Marco Eichelberg
OFFIS DICOM Team
OFFIS DICOM Team

Re: Browser display of jp2k frames

#2 Post by Marco Eichelberg »

I leave it to the other readers to decide whether or not this is off-topic, but I can at least say that DCMTK does not offer a solution for that use case.
I don't think that Browsers have built-in JPEG 2000 capabilities, so for a zero-footprint viewer you will have to use a JPEG 2000 decoder in Javascript.
Given that JPEG 2000 is computationally very "expensive" (complex), this will probably not offer great performance.