GSPS or SR ?

All other questions regarding DCMTK

Moderator: Moderator Team

Tullhead

GSPS or SR ?

#1 Post by Tullhead »

I want to add markup to a DICOM image such as that shown near the top of this page:

[url][https://www.metronmind.com/try-it]

Should I use GSPS or SR? What are the 'Pros and Cons' of this choice? Which is 'easier' using DCMTK tools (even just binaries, I am hoping). Thanks!

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

Re: GSPS or SR ?

#2 Post by J. Riesmeier »

The short version of the answer is: if you want to store measurements in a semantic manner, you should use Structured Reporting (SR); if you want to store annotations in a graphical way, you could also use Grayscale Softcopy Presentation States (GSPS).
In terms of what is easier to use, e.g. by just using executable binaries, you might want to give dsr2xml and xml2dsr a try, but I would also recommend to use an existing SR Template like TID 1500 for the purpose of storing measurements.

The long version of the answer would go beyond the main purpose of this forum. Rather, it would be part of a customer-specific consulting service.

Tullhead

#3 Post by Tullhead »

So GSPS has "Grayscale" right in its name -- does that mean one cannot have color in the overlaid graphics?

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#4 Post by J. Riesmeier »

The name indicates that this IOD is for referencing monochrome images only. The graphical annotations can also use color.

Tullhead

#5 Post by Tullhead »

OK, thank you, that's what I hoped regarding GSPS.

So, after a brief study of GSPS and SR, here are my thoughts - I'd be happy to be corrected if these statements are incorrect:

So, SR looks cool and powerful, but as I understand it, it does not give any way to control how the items will be rendered on any given system. For example, you can't specify "this line should be thin" but "this line should be thick", no specification of "color", there is apparently, no concept of telling it to draw an 'arrow-head' at the end of a line segment. And so on... So, its powerful and semantic, but we won't be able to control how the output of our product looks. Something as simple as a markup where "things in circled in red" are bad and "things circled in green are good" - is not possible in SR. It's a shame that in the real world "how the product looks" matters so much, but I think it does.

Firstly, if I'm wrong about these statements above, please let me know. Secondly, is there any chance or future movement for adding some graphic side to SR? Such a shame to have all that power and complexity, but graphically
it's beat by ancient technology like JPGE and GDI+.

GSPS, on the other hand, seems to allow one to make a nice graphical overlay. Multiple colors in the same overlay should be possible - is that right? thin lines, thick lines, arrow heads, color-coding - all possible.

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#6 Post by J. Riesmeier »

Both serve different purposes, so SR will (most probably) never be extended by visual aspects. This is where the GSPS (and its variants for color image, etc.) comes into play: you could, of course, create an SR document (with semantically enriched numeric measurements, coded entries and the like) that references an image together with a GSPS object that should be used for rendering.
GSPS, on the other hand, seems to allow one to make a nice graphical overlay. Multiple colors in the same overlay should be possible - is that right? thin lines, thick lines, arrow heads, color-coding - all possible.
Yes, you can specify different colors for different Graphic Layers. And, you could also specify other aspects of the graphic annotations like e.g. line thickness or arrows. But, please be warned that most DICOM viewers that support GSPS will probably not support all features, especially not those that were introduced with Supplement 120 "Extended Presentation States".

Tullhead

#7 Post by Tullhead »

Do you have, or know where I could find: a sample radiograph DICOM file and an associated GSPS file? For testing purposes.... can't seem to find sample GSPS files anywhere....

J. Riesmeier
DCMTK Developer

#8 Post by J. Riesmeier »

What about creating your own sample GSPS objects using e.g. DICOMscope or Weasis.